Be Memorable: Tips to Make People Remember Your Name
- Tips for standing out
- Memory power
- Our brain remembers things through links and associations, names and people are not naturally connected
- People tend to forget names on first encounters but remember other details
To cut it short
How many times did you meet someone and an hour later you struggled to remember their name but did remember their hair, laugh or some joke they told? A name is your brand and an important part of your identity, so in order to let your name be memorable, follow the tips below:
- Narrate a story about your name. A common name like Ali is not interesting or memorable but a story about how you were named after the hospital you were born in is!
- Refer to your name in third person. The repetition of your own name will let the other party memorize it better. Fair warning though, you do risk sounding conceited and arrogant.
- Use a familiar anchor. Bank on someone famous with the same name, add in a self-effacing joke to not only break the ice but also to be memorable. For example: I’m Ali like Muhammad Ali and I’m almost as quick as him.